The pause of one project and the progress of others!

Happy Thursday!  We’re finally showing some life in our garden.  While I haven’t completely gotten rid of the weeds, we’ve got some crops ‘a growing.  We’ve got some tomatoes starting to sprout, the jalapenos are almost ready to pick, and a cucumber is showing itself.  We weren’t sure that we were going to get anything out of the garden this year, but are excited that something’s actually happening.

 

We’ve totally given up on the wallpaper project in the hallway at this point.  We’re going to take our time removing it all and just get it done when it gets done.  We’ve looked at different options, such as hiring help to do it, but it would likely take too much money to do it right now.

We’ve made great progress on planning the basement project, though.  We just bought the can lights last night from Lowe’s, and picked up the circle cutter and keyhole saw as well.  We saw some different kind of ceiling tiles though, which might be able to put up just using adhesive, but I’m going to have to do the research today to see if that’s a viable option, otherwise, we’ll continue along with the beadboard ceiling plan.  There’s only 2 weeks left until the in-laws arrive, so it’s getting down to the nitty-gritty time to have all the prep done.  Excitement is ‘a brewing!

Sir Walter Scott would be mad too if he had to remove wallpaper

Oh, what a wicked wallpaper web we weave.  The wallpaper plan has gone up in smoke, as Krista has told me that we should quit working on it now, as it will take too long.  While that is true, she, knowing me as well as she does, knows that I would continue plugging away on it until it’s done, no matter how long it would go.  The bottom layer of wallpaper that is on the wall is just too difficult to remove, so she wanted me to contact some people to help finish it, so we can paint it…or at least get some advice on how to do so…so, I’ve put in an email to our guy, Mike, of Rescue 1 Construction, to see if he can help.  We’ll see what he has to say.

As far as the basement planning is going, we’ve finally settled on a ceiling tile…beadboard, instead of the two options I mentioned last week.  I’ve still got to finish measuring out to see how many tiles are needed (as we also need it for the office and the bathroom), but thankfully, at least that part of the planning is almost resolved, outside of the lighting.  Now, I will also have to work on planning the walls portion, as we’re going to have to get insulation, so we can put the paneling back on and paint it (unless she ends up wanting to get different walls).  I’m hoping to finish all of the planning this weekend, so I can start getting all the materials and tools ready to get started once the in-laws are here.

Finally, the garden…we were able to pick up some more compost and mulch, so we added the compost to hostas that we had planted around a tree in the front yard and the mulch over the soil in the flower garden that we had planted the week before (which was mentioned in the last post).  We ended up not being able to weed the vegetable garden in the backyard, but we did put up a fence around it to keep our schnoodle, Ted, out of it…as he had a little too much fun in the mud in the garden after a recent thunderstorm.  🙂

Anyway, that’s it for this week.  I appreciate anyone who happens to come across this either in the near or far future and reads it, as it does mean a lot.

Of wallpaper, basement walls and gardens galore!

The wallpaper work is still in progress…of course, as you expected.  I did finally get all of the first layer off, but we’ll still be working on getting the bottom layer off and sanding it all down.  I hope to get a lot of it done tomorrow and possibly Saturday.

As far as the basement planning, a plan is beginning to take shape. It should be a fun project, but I think it might cost a little more than we expected.  We’ve narrowed down the ceiling tile options to 2 different styles, this one and this one.  I’m planning on reusing the grid that is already there (for the most part), but also might have to add some pieces to make it all work together.  I still have to research the insulation for the walls as that might add some more cost, and we’ll have to plan the lighting as well.  Hopefully, we’ll have a complete plan done here in the next couple of weeks.

Unlike the wallpaper and the basement though, we made some significant progress on the garden.  Pam, our next door neighbor, came over and gave us some awesome tips on our flowers and the existing flowers…such as the lilies, which apparently you aren’t supposed to plant all that deeply (you should be able to see some of the bulb), otherwise they may not flower.  We got all our flowers/plants planted on the south side of the house (where most of the light is all day long), but we still have some weeding to do in the backyard garden, as it has gotten out of hand.  We’re novice gardeners, but we’re learning on the job.  See ya next week!